By Judith Matanire
Zimbabwe’s National Sports Stadium has been granted CAF Category 3 approval, clearing the way for the country to host Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) and FIFA World Cup qualifiers on home soil.
The Ministry of Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture announced the development on Thursday, saying the approval followed a recent technical inspection and significant progress on priority works at the stadium.
The CAF Category 3 status also allows the National Sports Stadium to host CAF Champions League and Confederation Cup group-stage and quarter-final matches, as well as other competitions applicable to Category 3 facilities.
CAF has acknowledged the efforts made by the Government and the Zimbabwe Football Association (ZIFA) in addressing concerns raised during the inspection.
The development is a major boost for Zimbabwean football, with the country having previously been forced to host some international fixtures away from home after the National Sports Stadium failed to meet CAF requirements.
The Ministry said the rehabilitation of the facility forms part of Government’s efforts to restore the National Sports Stadium to its position as the country’s premier football venue.
It also credited Sakunda Holdings for its contribution towards the stadium’s modernisation, including improvements to the playing pitch and installation of bucket seats.
The Ministry said CAF had encouraged Zimbabwe to maintain the positive momentum and complete the remaining priority works at the stadium.
The Government has since called on football supporters, the corporate sector, the sporting fraternity and the media to support efforts to protect and improve the country’s sporting infrastructure.
The approval means Zimbabwe can now look forward to welcoming the Warriors and international opposition back to the National Sports Stadium for major qualifiers and other approved international fixtures.